Angela and Toni shatter the shame and silence that surrounds the topic of child sexual abuse in this powerful episode!
Healing from child sexual abuse is a journey that does not have an end date. However, the healing process begins with stopping the lonely and painful cycle of secrecy. In this episode, Angela and Toni will share their own experiences of surviving sexual abuse and offer great advice on how to break the silence.
We encourage you to join us in this conversation to help us break the silence worldwide. Please share your story with someone you trust and ,by doing that, you will empower others to step into their freedom – together we can stand in the light to expose the nature of this crime.
The expression, “It takes a village,” comes to mind when discussing child sexual abuse. But, it will take more than a village to bring awareness to and, eventually, an end to child sexual abuse. All of our voices need to be heard to bring an end to this crime.
Angela and Toni have been on their healing journey for many years and in this episode they offer great resources and helpful steps to start your healing process (or to help someone you know in theirs).
Helpful steps to breaking the silence:
1. Create an emergency contact list. This will include the names and numbers of people you trust and know love you, so that when you need to talk to someone you have your list at hand.
2. Choose someone who will listen to you with an open and loving heart (this will most likely be someone on your contact list) and tell your story of survival to him or her.
3. Have resources at your fingertips (number of a therapist, crisis hotline, National Sexual Assault hotline – 1.800.656.HOPE…).
4. Join a support group or start one of your own.
5. Remember, you are not alone! Survivors are everywhere.
Great resources mentioned in this episode
Books mentioned in this episode:
The Courage to Heal by Ellen Bass & Laura Davis
Plays mentioned in this episode:
How I Learned to Drive by Paula Vogel
Websites mentioned in this show:
RAINN.org – Rape, Abuse & Incest National Network
National help hotlines mentioned in this show:
National Sexual Assault Hotline – 1.800.656.HOPE (The call is anonymous and confidential unless the caller chooses to share personally identifying information.)
Resources for loved ones of survivors (not mentioned in the episode):
Allies in Healing by Laura Davis
Resources for Parents (not mentioned in the episode):
Listen To The Full Episode:
We would love to hear from you about this topic. Please write to us and let us know if you would like to hear more about surviving and healing from child sexual abuse.